Bahamas Wedding Paradise: Avoid These 7 Beach Wedding Mistakes
When you think about a beach wedding, you likely picture a beautiful white dress, powdery sand, a picture-perfect sunset, and lots of romance. Between a tropical Bahamas wedding paradise and the allure of a hassle-free ceremony, reception, and honeymoon in one location, getting married on the beach seems like a dream come true. In reality, many beach weddings play out much differently, usually because of improper planning and fundamental flaws. To guarantee your wedding is flawless, avoid these common mistakes made during weddings on Bahamas’ islands.
7 Common Beach Wedding Mistakes
Not every wedding is perfect, but you can achieve a close to perfect experience. After decades of beach weddings, the following faux pas stick out as the worst: Wearing the wrong shoes.
- The beach is a wonderful place to say “I do,” but wearing inappropriate shoes can lead to discomfort for guests and the wedding party. With all eyes on the bride while walking down the aisle, one short second of imbalance in wedding heels is capable of destroying what should be a magical moment.
- Avoid accidents and haunting wedding memories by designating a shoe area specifically for attendees. This way, no one gets sand in their shoes or risks injury.
- Lack of a back-up plan. If going at it alone, planning weddings on Bahamas’ islands can be a bit tricky. When not accustomed to the area or its susceptibility to strong storms, an elegant outdoor wedding can turn into a rain-soaked mess in no time. Many beach weddings have been ruined for this reason alone.
- Avoid getting rained out on your wedding day by having an alternate location nearby. Check annual weather information for the Bahamas to determine the rainiest months or plan to hold the ceremony and reception indoors. If the weather does permit spending time outdoors, choose a venue with an outdoor cocktail area and beachfront view.
Selecting the wrong wedding attire.
- Beyond the peril of walking in sand with high heels, choosing inappropriate dresses, tuxedos, and accessories can cause an array of mishaps on your special day. Though refreshing, the island breeze is capable of picking up long veils, ruining photo opportunities. Similarly, formal tuxedos and elaborate dresses may work wonderfully for an indoor wedding, but a beach wedding is best experienced in lighter clothing.
- Avoid unusable pictures and uncomfortable guests of honor by selecting breathable, light attire. Consider providing the bridal party with professional makeup services designed to withstand humidity.
- Failure to inform guests of the dress code. If a destination wedding on Bahamas’ sandy beaches is on your bucket list, make sure your list of RSVPs is informed of the recommended dress code. Newlyweds who make this mistake express regret after the event, as being inappropriately dressed can detract from the celebration.
- Avoid miscommunication by reinforcing the wedding’s location. For many couples, this task becomes overwhelming when guests are traveling from multiple cities. As a relatively recent trend in nuptial announcements, wedding websites are perfect for communicating the dress code and recommendations. Adding the information to your wedding website ensures each guest has access without significant effort on your part.
- Not planning for your guests’ needs. Whether you’re getting married on the beach itself or indoors, there’s no doubt your guests will want to enjoy the majesty of an outdoor Bahamas wedding paradise. Unfortunately, failing to plan for your guests’ needs in a tropical setting is not only a mistake; it’s dangerous. Guests not accustomed to humidity may suffer dehydration, while others may leave your wedding with unpleasant memories of the nasty sunburn they acquired.
- Avoid dehydrated and sunburned guests by making provisions available at both the ceremony and reception locations. Offer sunglasses, sunscreen, and cold water to keep your guests comfortable and refreshed throughout the event.
- Attempting to DIY everything. Unless you’re a professional, trying to DIY every aspect of your wedding is overwhelming. Weddings on Bahamas’ islands are unique, and many couples seeking a destination wedding fail to take this into account. As a result, additional time, money, and resources are spent unnecessarily.
- Avoid making this mistake (and experiencing the stress level spike that follows) by working with a professional wedding planner who has experience coordinating destination weddings. From decorations to entertainment, a wedding planner is the best person to put together a seamless, unforgettable wedding.
Adequate sound and lighting.
- If you’ve ever been to a wedding with a poor sound system and dull lighting, you understand why this is a huge mistake for beach weddings. Between guests not being able to hear the ceremony, to inadequate lighting ruining evening photo opportunities, a Bahamas wedding paradise on the beach is unnecessary if guests can’t hear or see what’s going on.
- Avoid poor light and sound by securing the staff, equipment, and vendors needed to make your wedding vision a success. Remember to account for the number of confirmed guests, as a larger guest list may require additional equipment.
- Failure to have a rehearsal. Yes, you’re having a destination wedding and might feel crunched for time; however, failing to have a rehearsal will leave uncomfortable gaps in your ceremony. After making this mistake, newlyweds have been overcome with regret at the result. From music playing too long or too little while the bride walks down the aisle to members of the wedding party not knowing what to do, jumping into a formal ceremony without preparation leads to embarrassing moments you can’t take back.
- Avoid a lack of ceremonial coordination by scheduling a rehearsal, even if it’s hours before the event. Essential attendees at your rehearsal should include the entire wedding party, the officiant, your wedding planner, and vendors responsible for sound and music.
Make Your Bahamas Wedding a Success
Whether hosting the event on a remote beach in the Out Islands, or planning a luxury resort wedding on Grand Bahama Island, you ultimately want a memorable wedding that leaves guests feeling proud, appreciative, and enchanted. By making plans to carefully avoid these mistakes, you’re prepared to experience a Bahamas wedding paradise beyond your expectations.
At Chic Bahamas Weddings, we understand how special your day is and are proud to transform your vision into a tropical reality. As a premier, full-service wedding planning and design firm, our company is preferred by couples seeking weddings on Bahamas’ breathtaking islands. Contact us today to learn more about our services.