A Guide to Choosing Destination Wedding Venues You Can’t See in Person
Destination weddings, put simply, are beautiful. There’s just something about traveling away from home that sparks romance and indulges the senses. It’s a chance for the bride, groom, wedding party, and guests to escape the humdrum routine of life and take a momentary break. While destination weddings are becoming increasingly popular (especially those in the gorgeous Bahamas!) there are still so-called limitations that seem to hold couples back. One of these is the inability to see the wedding venue in person prior to the ceremony.
While it’s logical to want to see the place where you will be married before deciding to hold the ceremony, it shouldn’t be a factor that holds you back. With state of the art technology, the helpfulness of the internet, and a local wedding planner by your side, you’ll feel like you’ve been there before you even set foot on the island.
Destination Wedding Venues – Taking on the Island Mindset
Are there certain limitations to planning a destination wedding? Certainly. But the benefits far surpass the obstacles. When planning a destination wedding in the Bahamas, it’s necessary to immerse yourself in the process. That means taking on the island mindset of relaxing and enjoying the experience. It’s understandable to want everything to be perfect, but you can relax knowing a Bahamas wedding does n’t hold the same pressure and expectations as a traditional church wedding.
Once you touch down in the Bahamas, you’ll realize everything moves at a much slower pace. As a result, you’ll wonder why you stressed so much leading up to it. You’ll also find your guests don’t have expectations or preconceived notions regarding how the ceremony should go. For most, this is an entirely novel experience and they are excited to do something new. By grasping the island mindset before you reach the island – that is, while you’re planning – you can ensure the process is less stressful and more rewarding.
Narrowing Your Choices
The process of choosing your wedding venue starts by narrowing down your choices. There are literally hundreds of possible venues and locations, dozens of uninhabited islands, and a number of luxurious resorts to choose from. To make the process easier, it’s important to narrow a list down to just a handful of possibilities. Here’s a simple three-step method to help:
- Distance and location. Do you have a particular island or area you want to visit? Take a look at flight schedules and see where flights are going, where they are n’t, and how much average tickets cost. This will give you a rough idea of which locations are feasible.
- Budget. How much are you willing to spend and how much are your guests comfortable spending? Again, this will point you in a specific direction and lead you to a practical short-list.
- Accommodations. Finally, it’s vital to think about the accommodations. Depending on how long your guests will be staying, who’s coming (kids or adults only), and what type of experience you want to have (all-inclusive or conventional), your list will usually narrow itself down to a smaller number of possibilities.
Once you’ve gone through this three-step method, you’ll usually end up with three, four, or five possible venues for your wedding ceremony and vacation. It’s now time to choose a venue – even though you can’t see it!
Remotely Choosing Bahama Venues
So, you don’t have time to fly to the Bahamas and check out potential venues prior to the wedding? That just means you’re in the majority, so don’t sweat it. Thankfully, though, there are a number of ways to check out possible venues on your short list without physically being on the island. Here are just a few of the ways most people make it happen:
- Virtual walk-throughs. If you’re looking at major resorts, chances are pretty good they have virtual walk-through technology. Usually found on their website, this capability allows you to tour everything from individual rooms and restaurants to the wedding venue and the resort grounds. The pictures are usually very high quality and are plugged into a platform that lets you drag your computer mouse across the screen to look around, zoom in, and zoom out. It’s almost as good as being there!
- Skype. If there’s anything better than a virtual walk-through, it’s Skype. Using video technology and a friendly helper on the other end, you can take a live walk-through and check out anything you want to see. It’s also possible to use Apple technologies like FaceTime, depending on the connection.
- Google Maps. In addition to looking at the venue itself, it’s important to check out the location and the surroundings. The venue may be great, but do you really want to be located next to a nightclub or shady neighborhood? Google Maps allows you to see exactly where the venue is located as well as what the surrounding area looks like. While this shouldn’t be your only method of review, it can be helpful for visually-minded people.
- Online research. Oh, the power of the internet! There are literally thousands of blogs, websites, and resources floating around the internet in regards to destination wedding venues. Conduct some simple searches on venues you’re interested in and look for reviews, suggestions, and testimonials. When it comes to their wedding experience, people have a tendency to be very honest.
- On-site wedding planner. The best way to get a feel for a venue without actually being there is to have a local connection. Using an on-site wedding planner allows you to ask specific questions, obtain accurate answers, and rest assured you’re making the right decision. They can also offer exclusive tips about things you would n’t read in brochures or hear from remote travel agents.
Whether you’re looking for superior Bahamas wedding design, pristine Bahama venues, or luxurious, carefree resorts, working with an on-site wedding planner can help. Even when you can’t see the venue yourself, coordinating with a professional like Marva Munroe of Chic Bahamas Weddings means an unmatched, unbeatable experience.
Chic Bahamas Weddings
At Chic Bahamas Weddings, we are a full-service island wedding planning and design company. We have experience working with couples all over the world and pride ourselves on creating beautiful weddings in the Bahamas. Contact us today for more information.